Saturday, September 28, 2013

ARP Update (Wow, it's been 6 weeks!?)

When I first read this part of the assignment (update in 250 words or more for Lamar EDLD 5326) my initial reaction was, “Uh-oh…what have I done lately with my research project!?”  However, once I revisited my original timeline (because I’m not exactly looking at it every day), I realized I have actually been staying on track for the most part.  To date I have continued with my research and I have expanded it to include keeping track of an elementary school that is in its first year of utilizing a balanced calendar (Hamilton ELC, School District of La Crosse, La Crosse, WI). I have worked with their principal previously during his previous tenure as a middle school band director.  This better enables our ability to communicate, especially for me to be able to feel more comfortable with asking questions and requesting information. 

We have taken many positive steps within my own district.  I met with our superintendent prior to the start of the school year to share my initial findings.  His response was positive and he suggested the next steps.  First, he said he would bring the matter to the school board to keep them in the communication loop.  Second, he suggested reaching out to the district staff to determine their interest. After the ensuing school board meeting I e-mailed the district staff to inquire their interest in exploring the viability of a balanced calendar for our district.  I invited all who were interested to a meeting the next week in the IMC.  The response was all positive.  The demographics of the 10 (plus me) people in attendance at the meeting were our superintendent, our 7-12 guidance counselor, 1 high school teacher, 1 junior high teacher, and 6 elementary teachers. I started the meeting by sharing some basics that I’ve encountered in my initial research.  I then shared some anticipated pros and cons associated with such a calendar for our district. Interest in this topic is a bit more heightened because the local television news coverage of Hamilton ELC.  Many of the anticipated concerns associated with lingo and negative stereotypes were all but non-existent thanks to the positive and accurate coverage of Hamilton’s transition to their balanced calendar. Many of the questions brought up by those at the meeting were excellent questions that I had already thought of and could answer confidently.  Other questions/concerns that were brought up that I had not yet thought of were written down for further follow-up.  I put together notes from the meeting and shared them with the district staff for all to see (via Google Docs).  I invited all to share their perspectives to broaden the effective scope of the project.  Two people (one who attended the meeting and one who only read the shared notes) both brought up concerns that are specific to our district that I would not have thought of unless someone else brought them up.  I added their concerns to the balanced calendar spreadsheet that I shared with all so that all interested parties have the same information on their radar screens. 

The next step is for our superintendent to inquire with the other conference suprintendents if there is any interest in a balanced calendar in their districts.  There could be some to none, but sharing our interest in this matter may spur on other districts to begin to do the same.  After that conference superintendents meeting I will follow-up with the staff who expressed an interest in being a part of this exploration to seek their input on what to do next.  Unless someone has something specific in mind, I think the next step is to survey the staff about their definitions and concerns related to the potential switch to a balanced calendar so we can have a better idea of where our employee population is at with this topic.


So in 250 words (or 600+), that is the latest related to my action research project.  I think it’s going pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment